A lot of serious contractor related problems can be averted by doing just a little research. After 25 years in the trade, I have found that if both home and business owners follow these tips, they almost always have a pleasant experience:
1. Check the license. Never hire an unlicensed contractor or electrician in any capacity. It may look like a good deal, but it may end up costing you more than extra money in the end. Unlicensed contractors are not bonded and have not taken any kind of exam to be assured they have the knowledge to perform the type of work you may need done. Also, it is very unlikely they have liability insurance (more on that below).
2. Check for insurance coverage. By law, Florida licensed electrical contractors will have liability insurance coverage. The bond that is required for electrical contractors in Florida is generally $7000 – an extremely limited amount. Look for an insurance policy of at least $1 Million.
3. Ask for a Journeyman card for proof of license. All electricians are required by law to be a journeyman, having passed all Florida State requirements. Ask to see the card of anyone performing electrical work on your home or business. This is very important and makes sure you have qualified workers. Your persons and property are at risk if they are unlicensed.
4. Ask what kind of work the electrician has done in the past. It is usually a pretty good indication of what you should expect in the future.
5. What is the electrician’s real concern as you speak with them about your project? Are they concerned about what you are trying to accomplish on your project? Are they up front and confident about pricing? Do they care about your needs and the needs of your property?
Following these tips will give you the ability to find the right electrician for you. Blue Sky Electric is happy to provide you with more information. Give us a call with any questions and we will be happy to assist you.